There’s something super satisfying about recreating healthy versions of your favourite decadent treats and these Chocolate Chip Protein Blondies by Melinda Wood (@melindawood__) do not disappoint. They’re soft, fudgy, a little bit salty, and a little bit sweet. They’re also gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, vegan and made with sneaky chickpeas for extra fibre!
Serves: makes 16 squares
Time: 35 minutes
Macros per serve: 121Cals, 6.3F, 9.6C, 5.4P.
1 can chickpeas
130g natural peanut butter
90g rice malt syrup
100ml unsweetened almond milk
2tsp vanilla extract
1/4tsp baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
60g chopped organic dark chocolate (or vegan choc chips)
Coarse sea salt for sprinkling.
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius, line a square baking tin with baking paper.
2. Rinse and drain chickpeas, then add to a food processor along with remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips. Process until a smooth batter is formed.
3. Fold in chocolate chips, then spread batter into lined tin.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and edges are a tiny bit brown.
5. Cool in pan for 20 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack. Sprinkle with sea salt, then cut into 16 squares.