Easter done our way…protein packed Vegan Hot Cross Bun Blondies. There is just something about the flavours and spices of these traditional Easter treats and this recipe by Jo Ross AKA Healthy Eating Jo ticks all the boxes. They are gluten free, refined sugar free, packed with protein and taste incredible!
Vegan Hot Cross Bun Blondies
Serves: makes 16-20 serves
Time: 40 minutes
3/4 cup buckwheat flour (or flour of choice)
200g / 5 scoops PranaOn Vanilla Power Plant Protein Powder
1 cup xylitol (or equivalent granulated sweetener of choice)
3 Tbsp ground flax
30g tapioca flour (or cornstarch)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp organic cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
90g / 1/2 cup golden raisins (sultanas, currants, mixed peel or combo)
90 fresh orange juice
Zest of 1 orange (~1 Tbsp)
2 cups almond mil unsweetened (or milk of choice)
120g apple puree
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix wet ingredients including flax and orange zest in a bowl
- Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl to aerate
- Stir in wet ingredients. Should form a thickish batter
- Stir through the raisins, reserving some to sprinkle on the top
- Spoon in to a lined brownie tray
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 35mins or until firm.
- Allow to cool before slicing and icing.
Mix 1 Tbsp xylitol with 1 Tbsp warm water and brush on to Blondies when you remove from the oven.
Mix 1 Tbsp protein powder with 2 Tbsp almond milk to create a pipeable paste.
Pipe on to cooled Blondies